Gum disease is an infection of the gums. It attacks the structures that support the teeth. Dr. Smith and our team are happy to give you helpful information about gum disease so that you know what to watch for.
Signs of Gum Disease
Gum disease is easiest to treat if it is diagnosed in its early stages. Contact Scott A. Smith DDS for gum disease treatment if you notice any of the following symptoms:
– Red, swollen, or tender gums
– Teeth that look too long because of receding gums
– Gums that bleed when you brush or floss
– Spaces, or pockets, between the gums and the teeth
– A change in your bite
– Persistent bad breath or bad taste
– Pus coming from the gums
Stages of Gum Disease
There are three stages of gum disease. They include:
– Gingivitis – The earliest stage of gum disease, gingivitis is an infection of the gums that is caused by the buildup of plaque. If daily dental hygiene practices do not remove the plaque, toxins can be released that irritate gum tissue. If you have gingivitis, you may notice some bleeding when you brush and floss your teeth.
– Periodontitis – If this stage is reached, the bone and structures that support the teeth become damaged. Gaps, or pockets, form between the gums and the teeth. Food and plaque can become lodged in these pockets, heightening the issue.
– Advanced Periodontitis – This is the final stage of gum disease. The bone and structures supporting the teeth are destroyed, potentially causing the teeth to shift or loosen. This can affect your bite. If advanced treatment can’t save the teeth, some teeth may need to be removed.
We encourage you to contact our office at 209-205-4657 today if you need treatment for gum disease in Merced, California, with our dentist.