You may be at an increased risk for gum disease and not even know it. Gum disease, also called periodontal disease, has numerous causes which can arise throughout your life. Due to the fact that gum disease is a progressive disease that may already be occurring and have occurred for many months on end before you even begin to spot any of the symptoms. Thus, it is important to have preventative techniques in place to help minimize the risk of gum disease, including the following:
– Frequent drug use, as well as the use of chewing tobacco, is linked to gum disease.
– A lack of visits to your dentist office for routine examinations and professional cleanings can increase the risk for gum disease.
– Hormonal changes within the body, especially changes in women and young girls, can increase the odds of developing gum disease.
– If you are suffering from diabetes, you will be more at risk for gum disease.
– Numerous forms of medications can produce dry mouth as a side effect, which is a known risk factor of gum disease.
– In some situations, genetic predispositions can leave you vulnerable to gum disease.
– If you have a poor diet or if you’re pregnant, you are more at risk for gum disease.
For additional assistance with gum disease, Dr. Smith and our team at Scott A. Smith DDS are here to enhance your smile. If you would like to set up an appointment to come see us at our dentist office in Merced, California, please call us at 209-205-4657 to speak with a member of our team.